Monday, October 12, 2009

Loving Life

I was reading a blog of another pastor tonight, and I ran across a quote that jumped out at me.  Rob Bell was teaching at a conference in Atlanta this past week and said, "When you obey God you won't want anybody else's life."  

Bell was speaking on the Ten Commandments and the final commandment is not to covet. If you choose to follow the God's commands, you will discover that you will not desire anybody else's life.  You will want to be the person God created you to be.  What a profound understanding.  It's simple. Yet it speaks volumes when you consider how often we don't fully appreciate the life God has chosen for us.  

Over the past few weeks I have experienced many situations that would have been easy to throw up my hands and give up. I have questioned and wrestled with God's purpose for my life and wondered if I was fighting a loosing battle. If I was completely honest with myself, I would have to admit that I felt this way on more than one occasion. The discouragement and fatigue makes it tempting to look around and wish your life could be like someone else.  

A few weeks ago I met with Ron and asked him to keep asking me about my daily reading and spending time alone in God's Word. For several days I'd spent many hours preparing for sermons but little time reading and meditating on Scripture for my personal growth and development. I sensed a deep conviction that I needed to be more disciplined... and I was right. So I stepped up to the plate and made some changes in the days to follow. 

Over the following weeks I was bombarded to the point that without God's Word speaking to me on a daily basis I might not have survived. Each day I would receive exactly what I needed to face criticism, discouragement and stress. The people closest to me offered comfort and support, but it was the Word that gave strength and confidence in my time of greatest need.  

Reading Bell's quote tonight reminds me that even when my life is most difficult. Submitting to His commands and reminding myself that God is in control of all things has given me peace that goes beyond my ability to understand.  That peace in the craziness of my life makes me know that I love what God created me to be and do.  I wouldn't want to trade what I have for anything.  

I have a beautiful wife and a wonderful son.  I am so glad that God created me to be a pastor even though it's something I never dreamed about doing as a career. The church I serve is far from perfect, but I know I wouldn't want to be at any other place on the planet.  So... life is simply a gift when I look at it though God's design. No other life would give me the joy that I have right now.  It's still tough, but that's what motivates me to submit and obey. 

1 comments:

Lauren said...

praying for you!

Post a Comment